Wednesday 1 July 2015

Total Community Care: Peggy's Story



Hi, my name is Peggy and I sustained a spinal cord injury in March 2008 after an extremely serious road traffic accident. It took over two hours for me to be cut out of the car, so I was lucky to be air lifted by The Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance to the nearest hospital. It was there I was told that I had a complete C5, C6, C7 injury.

After spending 11 months in four hospitals I finally moved to an adapted home. I soon became aware of the amazing work that the Spinal Injuries Association do in helping people to rebuild their lives again, after such a massive trauma. I subscribe to their magazine, "Forward", which is always interesting and informative.

I am also fortunate that I have an excellent care company, Total Community Care, and simply the best team of carers/personal assistants!! With their help I have improved considerably over the past seven years, so that my injury may now even be incomplete. Who knows?

Besides supporting the SIA, I am also passionate about the Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance, who quite literally saved my life. As a result, my daughter and I are volunteers for the DSAA and I have recently started giving talks in our local area, to help raise awareness of such a wonderful charity. Many people are unaware that there is no funding from central government.



I was fortunate enough to meet some of the DSAA crew nearly four years ago and as you can see I was photographed with them. They are very highly trained and skilled and always have a qualified paramedic on board. As you can imagine I am delighted to promote the DSAA charity, because although we think we are all invincible, you never know when you may need them! After all when you end up with SCI you actually realise how fragile our lives can be! 

Peggy Sutton 

For more information about Total Community Care and the support that they give SIA please visit their Ruby Corporate Partner page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment