Wednesday 18 March 2015

Thompsons: Mark's Story



We worked to secure damages for Mark after he was seriously injured in a car accident. He shares his story and experience here:

“My spinal cord injury happened when I was 17. I was in the back of my brother’s car when he skidded on black ice. The skid caused the car to go down an embankment, which was a 70 foot drop, and crash into a wall.

I was found bent forward with the driver’s seat right back. My neck was broken in two places, and my lungs had collapsed – I was lucky to be alive. I had to stay in hospital for nine months, and I spent the first three on a life support machine. I also had surgery that lasted for eight hours.

My injuries left me paralysed from the chest down. The day they told me I wouldn’t walk again, I was determined not to let it beat me.

During my time in hospital, I discussed the support and treatment I’d need with my family. We knew there would considerable costs involved and that we would need to claim compensation.

My mum contacted Thompsons Solicitors on my behalf and my solicitor began to work on my case.

Thompsons Solicitors were brilliant, from the front line staff through to the solicitor who looked after my case. 

The team were really thorough in evaluating my needs. They talked at length to my carers about my current and future needs.

My solicitor became my friend because the service was so personal. I felt like I could pick up the phone and call at any time. He was a great support to me and my mum.

I found it quite difficult to get out and about after I came home from hospital but my solicitor would make house calls which relieved the stress of travelling for me.

Right through to the day my case was settled, Thompsons Solicitors looked after me. They fought to get the level of compensation that would help me live my life independently. They always made sure we knew what was happening and when.

I’m moving on with my life – I drive using just my hands and play wheelchair rugby. I’m so grateful to Thompsons for helping to get me through.”

 “My mam describes Thompsons as being ‘Absolutely great – they can’t do enough to help you!’ And I know she’s recommended Thompsons to other people.”  Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment